The PE programme in Templebreedy incorporates five strands – Athletics, Dance, Games, Aquatics and Outdoor and Adventure activities. There is a balanced approach to the teaching of all five strands. A detailed breakdown of what is covered can be seen in the table below.
This year Templebreedy has placed a special focus on one strand in particular. For the 2017/18 school year we are shining a light on the strand of Dance. Our aim throughout the year is to expose the children to a wide variety of dances, such as Irish dancing + céilí, Zumba, Go Noodle, folk dancing, performing through dance at our school play etc.
|Outdoor and adventure activities||
Our PE Programme is constantly being updated to make sure we are always providing best practice PE delivery in our school. Our targeting of the Active School Flag has required an audit of our PE programme. This examination has helped us improve our provision of Physical Education. Here are some key elements we focus on:
- we prioritise one strand each year for further development. This year = Dance
- we discuss each child’s PE development in parent teacher meetings
- our staff attend PE specific CPD courses
- we carry out a PE audit
- all our equipment and resources are clearly labelled, well organised and easily accessible. We make maximum use of this equipment.
- we are introducing PE homework at certain times of the year (active schools week)
- we have themed monthly yard activities, supervised by our yard supervisors and committee members
- we place more focus on integrating PE in the classroom through physical activity breaks
- we ensure that pupils are provided with at least 1 hour of PE a week. However, we also reinforce a message that children 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity every day.